I fell in love with this project by one of Karen's former students and it inspired me to create something similar. I'm loving how this looks so far!
|Cutwork and ruching on the front of my needlebook|
I'm still struggling to make the buttonholing on my cutwork look really even and tidy. It didn't help that silk dupioni frays like mad as soon as you touch it; I needed a sturdier edge.
For the middle circle I tried something different. I used chain stitch instead of running stitch, and also added chain stitching around the edge that would be cut out, to minimize the fraying. I think it made a difference to the finished look but I still need more practice.
|Chain stitching on both edges for cutwork|